The IBS Discrete Mathematics Group welcomes Zhuo Wu (吴茁) from the University of Warwick, a new visiting student of the IBS Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group (ECOPRO). He will stay with us for 1 year.
The IBS Discrete Mathematics Group welcomes Dr. Chuandong Xu, a new visiting scholar from Xidian University, China. He is visiting the IBS Discrete Mathematics Group for 1 year from June 21, 2023. He is a lecturer at Xidian University and received his Ph.D. from Northwestern Polytechnical University in China in 2016.
On June 21, 2023, President Do Young Noh of IBS visited the Discrete Mathematics Group (DIMAG) and the Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group (ECOPRO), engaging in discussions with members of both groups.
The IBS discrete mathematics group welcomes Dr. Dong Yeap Kang (강동엽), a new research fellow at the IBS Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group from June 16, 2023. Dr. Kang received his Ph.D. from the Department of Mathematical Science at KAIST in 2020 under the supervision of Prof. Sang-il Oum. Before joining the IBS Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group, he was a research fellow at the University of Birmingham. He won the IBS Young Scientist Fellowship.
On June 13, 2023, Minho Cho (조민호) from the IBS Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group gave a talk at the Discrete Math Seminar on determining the maximum size of a pure pair in graph classes regarding the strong Erdős-Hajnal property. The title of his talk was “Strong Erdős-Hajnal property on chordal graphs and its variants.”
Sang-il Oum and Sebastian Wiederrecht organized an invited minisymposium at the CanaDAM 2023 (Canadian Discrete and Algorithmic Mathematics) held in Winnipeg, Canada on June 5-8, 2023. Here is the list of speakers for the minisymposium.
- Paul Wollan (Sapienza University of Rome): “Tree decompositions into subgraphs of bounded radius”
- Jan Kurkofka (University of Birmingham): “Canonical decompositions of 3-connected graphs”
- Stephan Kreutzer (Technische Universität Berlin): “Towards a structure theorem for digraph minors”
- Sebastian Wiederrecht (IBS Discrete Mathematics Group): “Universal obstructions in graph minors”
- Youngho Yoo (Texas A&M University): “Erdős-Pósa property in undirected group-labelled graphs”
- Eunjung Kim (LAMSADE, Université Paris-Dauphine): “When twin-width is the right measure”
- Chun-Hung Liu (Texas A&M University): “Minor-closed families are defectively perfect”
- Raphael Steiner (ETH Zürich): “Digraphs of large out-degree: problems and new results”
- J. Pascal Gollin (IBS Discrete Mathematics Group): “A structural theory for odd minors”
On May 30, 2023, Suyun Jiang (江素云) from Jianghan University gave a talk on the maximum number of edges in a connected graph without a fixed tree at the Discrete Math Seminar. She is currently a visiting scholar at the IBS Extremal Combinatorics and Probability Group. The title of her talk was “How connectivity affects the extremal number of trees.”