IBS Discrete Mathematics Group (DIMAG) is located in the 2nd floor of the theory building in the IBS headquarters, located in Daejeon, Korea. There is only one major entrance in the IBS headquarters. It is recommended to bring your ID to visit here because one is required to obtain a visitor pass at the lobby.
이산수학그룹은 기초과학연구원 본원 이론동 2층에 위치하고 있습니다. 본원 건물 전체 주 출입구는 하나 뿐이며 로비에서 출입증을 받아서 들어와야 하므로 신분증을 준비하시는 것이 좋습니다.
Address in English: Discrete Mathematics Group, Institute for Basic Science (IBS), 55 Expo-ro, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, 34126, Korea.
Address in Korean: 기초과학연구원 (IBS) 이산수학그룹. 34126 대전 유성구 도룡동 엑스포로 55.
- From Lotte City Hotel or ICC Hotel: Walk 500m West.
- From KAIST: 2.2 km East. Walk or Taxi or Bus #121.
- From Daejeon Station: 8.3km. Taxi. (Bus #705).
- From Seoul: 160 km. KTX Train to Daejeon station or Seodaejeon station. Or, an express bus to Yuseong or Daejeon Government Complex.
- From Incheon airport (ICN): About 200 km. Bus or “Bus to Gwangmyeong + KTX Train” or “Airport Train + KTX Train”.
Detailed Travel Instuction available on the IBS website.
Many taxi drivers do not know the exact location of IBS, because it has a relatively new location. Make sure that the taxi driver knows the address “55 Expo-ro”. This building is located at the former “EXPO park” near “Hanbit Tower”.
많은 택시기사분들이 기초과학연구원 위치를 모르십니다. 택시 기사분이 자칫 “한국기초과학지원연구원”이나 예전 위치였던 전민동 “KT연구소”로 가실 가능성이 있습니다. 한빛탑 옆 “55 엑스포로”에 위치한 기초과학연구원으로 가는지 꼭 확인하시기 바랍니다.
A visitor parking lot is available at the main entrance on the Expo-ro. If you are a visitor and request ahead, then it is possible to register the car plate number ahead to use the parking lot inside.
갑천을 낀 엑스포로 위에 있는 정문으로 들어오면 오른쪽에 방문자 주차장이 있습니다. 다른 진입로를 이용하거나 안쪽 주차장을 사용할 수 있도록 차량 번호를 미리 등록 요청하실 수도 있습니다.
The eduroam is the default Wi-Fi at IBS. If your institution supports the eduroam, then please make sure that you have an account before visiting IBS for your convenience. If your institution does not have eduroam, then it is possible to have a guest Wi-Fi at IBS by applying for an account.
You can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the cafeteria located on the first floor of the IBS building. It is open for 5 days a week.
Breakfast: 8am-9am. 3,000 KRW
Lunch: 11:30am-1pm. 4,500 KRW
Dinner: 5:30pm-6:30pm. 4,500 KRW
IBS has its own gym with the shower facility at the first floor. You need to bring indoor shoes and your own towels. (Currently, due to COVID-19, the gym is closed.)
Near-by Hotels and Guest Houses
Within 700m, there are several options for accommodations.
- Hotel Onoma (opening in August 2021): Adjacent to the IBS.
- Lotte City Hotel
- Hotel ICC
- I-Hotel (Former Daedeok Innopolis Guest House) (available for both short-term and long-term stays)
- IBS Guest House (available for both short-term and long-term stays)
Note that Google Maps are not very useful in Korea. If you have a smart phone (iOS or Android), then you may install the following apps before visiting Korea. It can show you the public transportation.
- Kakao Map (App Store or Google Play)
- NAVER Map (App Store or Google Play)
- Visit Korea : Official Guide (App Store or Google Play)
Things to do
Local attractions available on the IBS website. We recommend the following.
- Hanbat Arboretum (한밭수목원): A short walking distance from IBS across the Expo bridge. Open daily from 06:00 to 21:00. Free entrance. It is very close to the Leeungno Museum (이응노미술관), a small museum on a very interesting artist with a nice architecture.
- Gyerongsan National Park: For mountain lovers, in 30 minutes, one can arrive near the entrance of the Donghak temple (동학사) at the Gyeorongsan National Park. Taxis have a fixed price to go there.
- Sungsimdang (성심당): The most famous bakery in Daejeon, also a tourist attraction. It has a branch in the DCC building, across the Lotte City Hotel and adjacent to the I-Hotel. Highly recommended, especially if you are bored with the breakfast at the hotel. Open at 8 am.
- GS The Fresh: A grocery store located near the Lotte City Hotel. Very close to IBS.
- E-Mart (이마트): An equivalent of Walmart in Korea. Close on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month.
- Shinshegae Department Store: Opening in late 2021 next to the IBS. The building has a movie theater, a food court, and a hotel.
- There are two major department stores in Daejeon: Galleria Department Store (갤러리아 타임월드) (slightly closer) and Lotte Department Store (롯데백화점).
- Hyundai Premium Outlet Daejeon (현대프리미엄아울렛 대전점): a new mega outlet mall, opened in June 26, 2020.